With undercoating complete, its now time to get down to business. I always knew this was going to be a big job. From previous experience making scenery I knew that I had to do a few things a bit differently painting wise to last time. I ran up a small fortune in paint. Using those little Citadel paints to paint huge pieces of scenery is not only tedious but also very expensive. Also, modelling airbrushes are just not designed to paint large amounts of flat surfaces, they lack the paint capacity.
So, off I went to my local art store to investigate other possibilities paint wise, and to my local automotive store to look at other methods of paint application. Below is a photo of what I came up with.
I’ve actually used Liquitex paints before. Back in my Vinyl 1/4 action hero painting days. They’re very high quality and also importantly, affordable. In addition, they also have a range of additive for their paints. Gel mediums, matte and gloss varnishes etc, plus as you can see in the picture, an airbrush medium. I thought I’d give it a shot. I also purchased a HPLV touch up spray gun from the automotive store. It has a 100ml reservoir, much better than my airbrushes 10ml.
A close up of the paint and airbrush medium for those of you who like specifics.
So I purchased a few containers from the local supermarket and got mixing. I made up about 100ml, didn’t really know how much I’d actually need, but this seemed like a lot!
So after a bit of wrestling with the paint gun this is what I came up with. The airbrush medium was ok, however I found that it really helped if I added some mentholated sprits to the mix. The alcohol helps application as it evaporates quicker than the airbrush medium and therefore assists in paint coverage. Overall very happy with the results.
Just a bit of cutting in with a brown ink
More cutting in of the wall panels… it was a tedious job.
As you know, my plan for this base is that its been abandoned. Therefore I want the internals, and externals to be very weathered and decrepit after decades (centuries) of neglect.
After a quick gloss varnish, I applied some oil paints to complete the effect.
A close up of a ‘pod’ or whatever they’re called. As you can see, it pretty derelict (derelicte)
I’m pretty happy with how this is coming along. My next step is the mask up all of the interior surfaces and get ready for painting the exterior. This is going to be a massive job.
Ok, thats it for now. Until next time, thanks for dropping in