Two down, six to go….
This scenery project has been by far my most ambitious, it’s also the most satisfying now its complete. Now that I’ve finished it, I can also say its the most daunting project I’ve done. On so many levels I struggled with this piece, the size of it, the complexity of it, the many different mediums involved in creating it, the planning required to build and paint it and the level of detail required to paint it all tested my patience more than once.
However the over all result and the presence it has have all been worth it.
Lets look at the pictures then I’ll explain how I painted the white / marble effect as I’ve had a few questions on how I did it, and I’m pleased to say its pretty easy. But first to the pics…
So there you go. I hope you have enjoyed seeing this come to life. The next board(s) I’m going to complete will be the two which have featured in these photos, and they are the Concourse Sectors. I’m doing these as I seem them as the Administration centres of the Cathedral, all those Imperial Administrators need somewhere to administrate the Imperium from…
Anyways, how I painted the white on the Shattered Plaza, Honoured Imperium Statues and the Cathedral…
1. Black Undercoat
2. Citadel Codex Grey (or new range equivalent)
3. Highlight Codex Grey with white (I used a touch of grey in mine)
4. Add chipping using favourite chipping technique
5. Cut in shaded areas with a watered down brown ink
6. Seal using a gloss or semi gloss clear
7. Make an oil wash containing a mixture of brown oil paint, white oil paint and brown weathering powder ( should look like muddy water, and have the same consistency)
8. Using the wash, apply to recesses of model
9. Make a mixture of brown and black paint to apply to severely battle damaged areas (like where large parts of the building are missing)
10. Seal with a matt varnish
There are probably a few other steps you can add in to suit your own visual tastes, however this is broadly what I did to achieve the effect. Hope that answers a few questions.
Ok, thats it for me for a few days now, I’m going to Canberra over the Australia Day long weekend to play in arguably the largest and longest running 40k comp in Australia, CanCon (it now has many other systems running too) So if you’re playing or attending come and say g’day its great being able to put faces to names I see on my FB page. It’s been many years since I played at CanCon, in fact the last time was well over 10 yrs ago when I took out first place for under 21’s… eeeerrrr (2nd ed era) Looking at some of the names of players attending, the calibre will be very high with 30 of the top 100 players in Australia attending (there are 130ish players in total playing in 40k)
There will no doubt be tones of pics and a comprehensive post CanCon debrief up the following week.
Until next time, bye for now.